In my previous forum thread I had listed some tips on documentation and preliminary paperwork required for the application of an H4 visa.In this forum I will discuss some of the commonly asked questions during the H4 Visa interview. The visa interview process for all the visas can be divided into two segments: One, the questions that are asked for any US visa interview and two, the questions that are unique for the H4 visa.
Questions regarding general information like name, address, academic background, medical reports, previous work experience and current occupation are likely to be asked during any visa interview.
For the H4 visa the interviewer’s goal is simple: to ensure that the spouse will accompany a legally employed person in the United States and to ascertain if the visa applicant will not try to seek employment in the United States. All the interview questions will primarily focus on these two issues. Remember that they do not want you to come and settle here. They also do not want you to come and work illegally here. Hence you must expect questions related to your marriage, your work experience, your spouse’s work experience, his/her salary slips and bank information, home address, information about his employer, etc. and what you intend to do in the United States.
A good interview strategy can make the process fast and simple. It is best to be brief and to-the point. You must give answers to questions that are asked and not 'beat around the bush!'
List of questions asked during my interview
I am listing the questions that were asked during my visa interview. I did some research and more than often the pattern for the interview for the H4 visa is similar.
- What is your name?
- Where do you live ? (A little tweet about my hometown)
- What do you do for a living?
- Can you show me your salary slips?
- What are your educational qualifications?
- Are you studying?
- When did you get married? (A quick glance at my ‘chooda’ or customary marriage bangles)
- Can you show me your marriage certificate?
- Do you have any pictures of the marriage ceremony? (Of course I do!)
- What is your spouse’s highest degree? (Now it is all about him..:D)
- Can you show me a copy of his degree?
- Which company does your spouse work for?
- Who is sponsoring your husbands H1?
- Where is his employer located?
- What is the role of your husband in the US Company?
- How long has your husband been in the US ?
- Can you show me his passport? (He wants to verify the US stamping)
- How long has your spouse been working for the sponsoring company?
- Can you show me copies of his payslips? (He wants to know how much he is earning or what is the annual income)
- Can you please show me your tax returns, bank statements, play slips, etc.?
- Can you show me your passport?
- Can you show me his I 797 ?
- Do you intend to work in the United States (The focus is back on me. Of course the answer is a big fat NOOO!)
- How long do you intend to stay in the US ?
- Do you intend to come back to India?
- Do you have a copy of your itinerary?
- Congratulations! you are all set! You will receive the stamped passport within a week to ten days.
After talking to a few friends on H4 visa I realized that the line of quesitoning was similar for all of them. Go to more H4 visa interview questions to read about experiences of other members of the community.
What questions were asked during your H4 visa interview? Please share here to help others preparing for the interview process.