Rita planned to go for her H4 visa interview on October 30. She had made the online appointment and had completed most of the formalities. The only thing left to do was nail the interview and get the H4 visa stamped on her passport. Not everything went as she planned and she could not go for the interview. Are you in a similar situation? Here is what to expect next.
- If you do not show up for the H4 visa interview you are considered as a 'no-show' applicant.
- If you are applying at the Mumbai consulate you are considered a 'no-show' if you do not submit your papers 3 days prior to the interview date.
- Your VFS service fee receipt will be automatically deactivated and you will have to take some action to set up another H4 visa appointment.
How to reactivate your VFS service receipt and apply for H4 visa appointment? This basically includes three easy steps : Reactivating your VFS receipt, submitting the form DS-160, and setting up another date for the H4 visa interview.
- Wait for working 2 days to pass after you have missed the interview date.
- Locate the nearest VFS application center and take your original receipt there. This is the receipt you got from HDFC bank at the time of paying the H4 visa fee.
- There are VFS U.S. Visa Application offices located at all parts of the country. For example, there are three VFS offices in New Delhi, Jalandhar, and Chandigarh for Northern India. Southern India is served by the centers in Chennai, Kochi, Bangalore, and Hyderabad.
- You will have to pay Rs. 180/- for reactivation.
- Now that your receipt is reactivated you will have to submit the form DS-160 again. Consider the following two situations before submitting the DS-160.
- Has your situation changed since the last time you sent the form for the H4 visa interview? This may include a change in travel plans, enrollment in school,etc. If there has been a significant change in your situation update this information in your saved DS-160 and submit it. You will now get a new CEAC bar code.
- Is your situation exactly the same as before? If there has been no significant change in your situation you can use the original CEAC bar code again.
- Schedule a new H4 visa appointment date like you did the first time.
- Check for the balance of validity period on your receipt. The receipt is valid for 1 year from the date of purchase. If Rita missed your her H4 visa appointment on October 30 and she bought the receipt on September 15 she can give the visa interview until September 15 of the following year.
Rita could not attend the interview due to some unforeseen events. If you are in such a situation you can take a new appointment by paying a nominal fee. The only catch is that visa appointments are not always available and you may have to change your travel plans if no appointment is available for a longer duration of time. It is better to be a 'show - show' than a 'no-show' for the H4 visa interview. For sample H4 visa interview questions please click here.